Friday, September 9, 2011

Weiner Seat: Dem Assemblyman Turns on Obama, Endorses Republican


**Updated, bumped.

Democrat Dov Hikind, State Assemblyman for District 48 (Brooklyn), endorsing Republican Bob Turner for U.S. Congress in New York’s 9th District, moments ago:


A Siena poll released earlier today showed Turner with a 6-point lead over Democrat rival David Weprin, and indicated that 32% of the district’s Democrats intend to vote for the Republican.

Just before the press conference, Turner spoke to me about the issues driving the election.
“I think people are looking at this as a referendum on the president’s policies, that cover jobs, the economy, and–very strongly–the State of Israel, how Obama’s treatment of that impacts the voters of this district,” he said.

I also asked Hikind whether he had experienced a backlash from other Democrats for supporting Turner.

His response:
 “I’m really not going to talk about that, but what I will say to you is that I haven’t lost any sleep over it.”

Big Government