Saturday, July 24, 2010

Surely A Charade

Shirley Sherrod says this about Andrew Breitbart:
 
On Andrew Breitbart: I know I've gotten past black versus white. He's probably the person who's never gotten past it and never attempted to get past it.
I think he would like to get us stuck back in the times of slavery. That's where I think he would like to see all black people end up again.

Well, that doesn't sound much like the post-racial enlightened uniter the MSM has packaged her as, but I'm confident this seemingly damning quote is also perfectly innocuous "in context," no doubt part of an inspiring story in which she learns to overcome hyperbolic accusations of yearning for America's days of slavery, and focuses on the things that bring us together as Americans.
And I think that's why he's so vicious against a black president, you know. He would go after me. I don't think it was even the NAACP he was totally after. I think he was after a black president.

Well, anyone who thought she was obsessed with race certainly ought to apologize.
"It's not so much about white..." (catches herself, says), "It IS about white and black."

I know I'm inspired. Something else that's been underplayed in all this is that it's extremely unlikely Sherrod was canned because of anything anyone on the right said; I mean, come on, this is the Obama administration. That decision was almost certainly precipitated by the NAACP's denunciation of Sherrod -- and remember, the NAACP always had the full tape, as it was their event.

UPDATE: Glenn has more, including this from Jonah Goldberg: "Shirley Sherrod, who didn't know who Andrew Breitbart was 72 hours ago, now knows him well enough to say that he wants to put all blacks back into slavery. If I were David Axelrod, I'd be calling this woman and beg her to stop talking."
No kidding. Every time she opens her mouth, we get a little more "context."

And remember -- the Obama admin now owns Shirley Sherrod. There's no way for them to look good on this anymore. If they fired her, then apologized and offered her a promotion on a flimsy "context" argument, then found out she was someone whose wildly inflammatory accusations make Reverend Jeremiah Wright look like the soul of racial unity and reasonable dialogue... the already oil-drenched competence myth is now taking a slash to the jugular.

 
posted by Dave on 07.23.10 at 06:15 PM