Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sarah Palin, Authentic Annie Oakley

December 16, 2010
By Karen Allen



Some folks know that I am an Annie Oakley history buff, hence my little Annie avatar that I leave around in comment sections. So, when I saw the aforementioned article, I figured for sure that I would be explaining how if any figure alive today embodied the spirit of Annie Oakley, it was Sarah Palin. After reading the scattered essay, I also realized the "fake Annie Oakley" slam title wasn't even logical. The whole article's argument is that a recent TLC episode of "Sarah Palin's Alaska", that involved hunting, proves that Governor Palin is just an entertainer putting on a show, and therefore, she's no Annie Oakley. Well, even if that were true, um, Annie Oakley was an entertainer, traveling all over America and Europe to put on shows. A little research next time before making comparisons may serve the author well in the future.

But what really annoyed me about this article, more than anything, to the point that tears began forming was not the failing Annie Oakley comparison, the shallow name calling, the citing of a UK source as an authority, the presumption that Facebook trolls are fans, or the I know all about guns more than Sarah Palin snarky school girl attack. What bothered me so much more was the lack of heart about a relationship between a father and daughter. Within seconds of reading this article, I was transported in my mind's eye back to an Army green 1970 F-100 pickup truck with a toolbox bed. It had no air conditioning, chains on the tailgate that rattled at every turn, a big bench seat, and floor mats with red, white, and blue shields on them. Always at the helm of that truck was my dad. And as a kid, whenever possible, I rode shotgun. There was no telling where Dad was going to take me, but it was sure to be memorable.

Marsh makes light of "clumsy" Palin asking about guns kicking back and accepting help from her "elderly" dad as if that was some of kind of warped proof that the former governor really didn't know anything about hunting. Reading that made me feel pity for this author and her lack of understanding because she apparently missed the target completely. I cannot speak for the author's relationship with her father, but for me, I related completely to Governor Palin's experience. I can shoot, I can fish, I can drive a boat, I can ride a motorcycle...but if my dad is with me while I do those things, even to this day as an adult, I will defer to him. He wants to help, he likes to teach, and he's got great stories...even if I've heard them a hundred times already. And that's what I saw Sarah Palin do, honor her dad and enjoy the moment by allowing him to set the stage and take the lead. Do I think Governor Palin could have led a hunt all by her wee little self? Of course. But then she would have missed the pure joy on her father's face and things learned that only come by way of listening and not talking.

Maybe the author was too worried about looking for clues of activity authenticity and just missed the bigger bonding picture. I don't know. What I saw was a dad totally in love with his daughter and excited to spend time with her and a daughter full of respect and love for her dad. That episode wasn't so much about hunting as it was about a relationship. What welled up the tears for me was the realization that my dad, a Navy Vietnam War vet, won't be around forever. The asbestos that invaded his lungs while working in the boiler room of his ship long ago is taking its toll more than ever now that he's older. Our adventures are few and far between these days.

The ridiculous charge made by The Huffington Post author reminds me of something Tammy Bruce referred to during a speech she gave in Chicago last month. She mentioned how liberals are jealous and bitter about Governor Palin's and any conservative's happiness. In relation to that, I say how sad it must be to spend your time trying to find fault in one woman's life, a woman you don't even really know, except for the few peeks she gives you into her family circle. Are there not better causes to pursue?

Taylor Marsh's petty finger pointing, constant whining, and far stretches of imagination are sickening to me. If anything is fake, it's the true journalism of such a piece. The Huffington Post is lucky Annie Oakley isn't around to take them to court for some of their shenanigans. She did that to many newspapers across the country when her reputation was at stake and went on to win 54 out of 55 cases. Putting the media in its place is just one of the many reasons why I believe Sarah Palin is certainly an authentic Annie Oakley.

Annie Sarah get your gun!

Karen Allen

Palin Twibe