Friday, October 5, 2012

Time to Fight

By William L. Gensert

Barack Obama will fall on November 6, 2012, losing the presidential election in a landslide to Mitt Romney.  After the president's performance in the first debate, this is becoming more obvious.

Yet now is not the time to be complacent.  We are engaged in a battle for the heart and soul of America, and an electoral defeat for the president will not change that.

Now is the time to fight.

Living in the Bronx, in the past, I have been guilty of self-censoring.  I always expressed my opinion but refused to get into arguments over politics.  As a conservative, political disagreements with liberals can be written off, but for liberals, any disagreement is evidence of evil intent.

Therefore, I am a bad man -- and, ever since Barack first ran for the presidency, racist as well.

The progressive position is an amalgam of mishmash -- feel-good pabulum supported by facile and flaccid arguments, usually from people who intellectually should know better -- yet choose not to.

Explaining this to someone, however, is basically calling her an idiot.  More often than not, that was a conversation I declined to engage, cheerily changing the topic.

No longer can I allow myself to behave this way in pursuit of civility.  After all, liberals are never civil.  From now on, I "get in their faces."

Recently, while filling up at a local gas station, a man doing the same complained about gasoline prices.  Normally, I would nod sympathetically and resume pumping.  But today we are fighting for our lives, fighting for our very existence.

I told him that if Obama is re-elected, the price per gallon will be $10 by the end of his second term.
He demanded to know why, and I explained that price is a function of supply and demand and that the concept of supply includes not only what we have on hand now, but what is anticipated to be available in the future.

He asked if Romney would do better.  I said a victory for Romney would result in $2.50-a-gallon gasoline by the end of 2013, because Romney will drill and Obama will not.  Dejectedly, the man told me he hadn't thought about it that way, but he couldn't find a reason to disagree.

Then there are the ridiculous polls, some of which show Obama in a runaway victory.  When gloating minions tell me this, I point out that these polls assume equal or greater turnout and enthusiasm for Obama than he enjoyed in 2008.  Then I ask if they believe that more people support the president today than did then.  Usually they change the subject -- and there's the difference.  In the past, it was I who changed the subject.  

They are on the defensive, which is exactly why we need to stay on offense.

...And there is the legacy media.  Barack Obama is losing this election, and justifiably so, since everything he has done to date has been a failure.  Yet they have continued with their willingness to gratify the president at every opportunity while flouting any opposition -- they actually pretend he is way ahead.

Until Election Day, the media will be going all-out for Obama.  It wouldn't be surprising if they called his performance in the debate a "victory," despite all evidence to the contrary.  The fallacy of the all-successful, omnipotent Barack the Inevitable cannot be let go of.

But collectively, November 7 will be a "walk of shame" for the media, when in the light of day they are forced to parade in front of the American public, stockings askew, lipstick smeared, and hair in disarray, and admit they have been in bed with Obama from the very beginning.

Still, they will not change, because the adoration of Barack is not the disease -- it's a symptom. The disease is progressivism and it is terminal.

If this nation is to be saved, it is incumbent on us to fight.  History used to be written by the victors, in leather-bound books and articles in papers of record.  Going forward, history will be told on the internet by people with a keyboard and a care, who comment, blog, and write.  The "truth" can again be true.  But in order for this to happen, the primacy of the progressive meme must be opposed.
America started out as a band of rebels opposing a world power -- and it will be saved in the same way.  

You eat an elephant one bite at a time -- and if you are hungry enough and perseverant, sooner or later, all that will remain is a memory floating over a pile of bones.

My Journey

A serial epistolist, I had several anti-Obama letters printed in the New York Daily News before Obama's election.  Then, in the interest of giving the man a chance, I said little until it became obvious to me in June of 2009 that this was a horrible president and miserable leader.

Afterward, in letters, blogs and comments, I began to earnestly criticize the president.  I had a letter published in the Wall Street Journal in January of 2011 in rebuttal to the president's editorial about unnecessary regulation.

I had my first article published in American Thinker in June of 2011.  The article cost me a friend of 37 years, a woman I had been introducing to people as my sister for decades.  She called me a racist for saying Obama was America's worst president.  As an African-American, she felt it was her right to judge me by the color of my skin and not the content of my character.

I have been speaking out against the disaster that is Barack Obama ever since. But, it can be dangerous to oppose the righteous.  The front windows of my house have been broken twice and my front door egged three times, the most recent instance only weeks ago.

The police in the 49th Precinct didn't seem to think it was all that important, although the responding officers were all professional and sympathetic.  It took four trips to the precinct, numerous messages, and four weeks for the Community Affairs Officer to call me, but when he finally did, he was also courteous and professional, as he told me he couldn't devote -- and neither did I deserve -- any special attention to my property...since it was probably kids anyway.

Because the windows couldn't be repaired, it cost $7,000 to replace them.

The NYPD is the finest police force in the world, but the man was right.  What could they do?  As a middle-class male, I am not a member of any protected group.  And as a conservative, my free speech is no longer protected, either.  History has shown that rights are eroded a little bit at a time until they are all gone.  

It's like eating that elephant.

The maker of the infamous internet video insulting Muslims, which Obama blames for the results of his policy failures (the attacks on our embassies worldwide and the assassination of our ambassador to Libya), is under arrest for "violating parole."  In a few months, he might even be shot while trying to escape.

Yet, despite Barack Obama's attitude toward the First Amendment, no one will ever tell me what I can and cannot say.

I have lived in my house for 23 years.  And if my girlfriend at the time did not get between me and the front door when my windows were broken, I would have been outside fighting to protect my property -- because I built that.

So I say: if you want me, come and get me.  I am not giving up.  In 2008, I was crushed against a wall by a 48' tractor trailer.  On most days I am in so much pain, I have a hard time getting out of bed, but I am not going down without a fight.

I will not be silenced.

I believe in America, and all it stands for, and while I will never lift a hand towards anyone in anger for their beliefs, I will fight back if attacked.

It's time to fight.  America's future depends on it -- because even without Barack Obama, this battle has just begun.

American Thinker